Friday, November 12, 2010

Handmade Christmas Tree Garland: Crazy Awesome, or Just Crazy?

Mr. Owl and I have lived together for a long time. Almost six years, I think (is it bad I don't really remember?). It's taken us (read: me) a long time to figure out our holiday style. We started off our first Christmas living together with reds and golds, and that was too traditional for us. Then we moved to bright colors everywhere, which stuck for a few years, but then realized it was too much. The past two years, we've done bright colors mixed with natural elements (pine cones, greenery, etc.) that seems to work perfectly for us (read: me).

Recently, I saw this Christmas garland at Anthropologie, and I couldn't get it out of my head. I loved the homemade feel, the materials and the overall look. I was not, however, ready to spend 40 bucks per strand on it. So I decided, in a moment of insanity, to learn to knit teeny, tiny little mittens, and make it myself.

About five seconds later, I decided that wasn't a good idea. Maybe next year? Umm, yeah, we'll see.

So then I saw on OnceWed:

Photobucket
source

... and decided that this was doable, if not still slightly crazy.

I went out and bought some fabric in the main colors we use around Christmastime:

Photobucket
Personal photo


... and I got to work.

And realized that this was going to take a lot longer than I thought. It's been about a week, and I only have 23 poms finished:

Photobucket
Personal photo


But I've decided it totally worth it, and part of a new personal challenge. If it's reasonably possible to make something for our home myself, I'm going to do it. Part of me is excited that some day, our kids will put this garland on our Christmas tree, and I can tell them the story about how one year, Mommy went temporarily insane and decided to make over 100 fabric pom poms for this garland. It's the little things like this that make Christmas memorable, right? I mean, it wouldn't be Christmas at my mom's house if she didn't still hang the ornaments me and Sister Owl made for her in elementary school (clothespin reindeer, anyone?). It's all about memories - and handmade ones are pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment